Audit and assessment is a demanding and exacting form of work. Audits and assessments often start when something has gone wrong. While that doesn’t have to be the way we start our work, it is nonetheless a frequent occurrence. Tensions are high and anxieties are rampant. You have a pressing need for broad assurance that the process will be objective, the findings will be clear and the process will be fair.
Effective audits and assessments require a range of skills and abilities to deliver effectively. Not only do you need solid and unimpeachable expertise in the process being reviewed, but you also require authoritative experience in conducting reviews: interviewing, document review, research, analysis, findings preparation and the development of coherent, meaningful and relevant recommendations.
Audits recreate the story of what happened, relying on numerous input sources to triangulate the cause of events that lead to today. Assessments require a comprehensive review of processes as they are defined, as well as evaluation of how those processes are understood and actually applied. In all instance, the resulting analysis needs to tell a compelling, accessible and meaningful story that creates critical understanding and leads to actionable insights.
We have the process expertise, the research background and the grounding in audit and assessment processes necessary to deliver the insights and understanding you require. We have been conducting audits, process reviews and organizational assessments for decades, in a wide array of circumstances:
- Developing one of the earliest project management maturity models in the industry. The assessment framework has been used to assess the organizational practices of more than 650 organizations worldwide, resulting in one of the largest and most comprehensive.
- Facilitating numerous assessments of organizational project management practices and capabilities for private and public sector organizations across North America.
- Developing a project management assessment framework for the Government of Alberta, to support and promote ministry-wide improvement of project management practices.
- Developing and implementing a project management assessment framework for the City of Calgary to support improvement of project management and project performance on large-scale systems, infrastructure and organizational change projects.
- Conducting audits of completed projects for numerous private and public sector organizations. These routinely include a review of project results, an assessment of process performance and management effectiveness, and formulation of recommendations and improvement opportunities for future projects.
- Facilitating lessons learned reviews (both organizationally, and for individual project teams) to support identification of successes and improvement opportunities from completed projects and formulation of recommendations to improve processes, structures and systems to support future project delivery
- Conducting a cross-ministry systems audit of project management practices for a provincial auditor general.
- Serving as subject matter expert for a comprehensive audit of nationally-funded electronic healthcare record projects for a provincial auditor general.